1 of the highest quality; "an ace reporter"; "a crack shot"; "a first-rate golfer"; "a super party"; "played top-notch tennis"; "an athlete in tiptop condition"; "she is absolutely tops" [syn: ace, A-one, crack, first-rate, tiptop, topnotch, tops(p)]
2 including more than a specified category; "a super experiment"
3 extremely large; "another super skyscraper" n : a caretaker for an apartment house; represents the owner as janitor and rent collector [syn: superintendent] adv : to an extreme degree; "the house was super clean for Mother's visit" [syn: extremely]
Etymologysuper from supra.
- (General): so͞o'pə(r), /ˈsuːpə(r)/, /"su:p@(r)/
- : /'sju:p@/
- : /ˈsupɚ/, /"sup@`/
- Danish: super
- Dutch: super
- French: super
- German: super
- Greek: hyper, less common souper
- Italian: super or supra
- Japanese: 超 (ちょう, chō)
- Latin: super, supra
- Portuguese: súper
- Spanish: súper
- Hebrew: סופר
- Turkish: süper
- In the context of "informal|Northeastern US": Superintendent of a building.
- (beekeeping): An empty box placed above the existing boxes of the beehive in order to allow the colony to expand or store additional honey.
- Short form of superannuation, the
benefits or pension
- Jane looked forward to collecting a large super payout when she retired.
- (beekeeping): nadir
EtymologyFrom Latin 'super'
EtymologyRelated to Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), above
Super may refer to:
- Super (computer science), a keyword used in Java programming language to invoke inheritance of fields and methods from baseclasses
- SUPER (software), a free Windows video encoder and player
- Super key (keyboard button), this is how the "Windows key" or the "Apple logo" of the keyboard is called in some Linux distributions or other OS's
- .38 Super, a pistol cartridge that fires a .356 inch diameter bullet
- Teller's "Super" bomb, the idea of a thermonuclear fusion bomb ignited by a smaller fission bomb
- "Super" is short for Building superintendent, a manager, maintenance or repair person, custodian or janitor, especially in the United States
- Super Gasoline, indicating composition or octane rating
- Superman, a superhero from DC Comics
- "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", a song from the movie Mary Poppins
- Super Idol, the Greek version of the television series Pop Idol
- Super (film), a 2005 Telugu film
- Super Transformation, a more powerful form characters can achieve in the Sonic the Hedgehog video games
- Mario, A video game character commonly referred to as "Super Mario"
- Super Saiyan, a more powerful form saiyans can achieve in the Japanese anime "Dragonball Z" and "Dragonball GT" as well the manga "Dragonball"
Companies and organizations
- Super Deluxe, an online broadband service from Turner Broadcasting
- SuPer, the Finnish Union of Practical Nurses, Suomen lähi- ja perushoitajaliitto or "SuPer"
- SUPER (Semantics Utilised for Process management within and between EnteRprises), an integrated project in the European Sixth Framework Program
super in German: Super
super in French: Super
super in Korean: 슈퍼
super in Dutch: Super
super in Japanese: スーパー
super in Finnish: Super
Big Brother, a cut above, above, ahead, ascendant, auditor, better, bit player, boatswain, boss, capping, chief, chosen, comptroller, controller, cool, crown, damned, distinguished, divine, duodecimo, eclipsing, eighteenmo, eminent, exceeding, exceedingly, excellent, excelling, exceptionally, excessively, exquisite, extra, extremely, figurant, figurante, finer, floor manager, floorman, floorwalker, folio, foreman, gaffer, ganger, gilt-edged, glorious, golden, greater, groovy, head, headman, heavenly, higher, highly, hot, hugely, immense, immensely, imperial, in ascendancy, in the ascendant, inordinately, inspector, keen, magnificent, major, marked, marvelous, medium, monitor, mute, neat, noncommissioned officer, octavo, octodecimo, of choice, one up on, outstanding, over, overfull, overly, overman, overmuch, overseer, proctor, quarto, rare, rattling, rivaling, royal, sensational, sextodecimo, sirdar, sixteenmo, slave driver, spear-carrier, splendid, splendiferous, stand-in, standby, sterling, straw boss, strikingly, subforeman, substitute, supe, superb, supereminent, superexcellent, superfine, superintendent, superior, supernumerary, supervisor, support, supporting actor, supporting cast, surpassing, surpassingly, surveyor, taskmaster, terrific, too, topping, transcending, tremendous, twelvemo, understudy, unduly, upper, visitor, walk-on, walking gentleman, wonderful